RBCCM: Website Design

Project Overview
RBC Capital Markets needed a dedicated section on their website that gave students a quick, easy way to explore and apply to company internships, and discover more about life at RBCCM. However, the marketing team did not know what content to display, or how to best structure it.
My Role

UX & Visual Design

Project Scope

User research, Information Architecture, Wireframing, Visual Design

Laptop and mobile phone with the RBCCM student careers web page open on the screens
The Problem:
An ineffective website
The current web pages did not adhere to RBCCM's new branding, making it look dated and inconsistent with the rest of the website.

Multiple design issues and inefficiencies in the site-mapping and overall user experience, making it difficult for students to find and apply to jobs at RBCCM.
The Goal:
Make the job search less painful
Main user goal: Make it as easy as possible for students to find and apply to relevant and interesting jobs.

Secondary user goal:
Make it easy for students to learn more about the benefits and experience of working at RBCCM.
Design Challenges: What content and how to display it
What content to display:
The marketing team didn’t know what content would be the most beneficial to display on the website, or how the content should be structured. They wanted to mimic what they saw on other company's career pages.

Indication of available positions:
RBCCM has multiple student programs that are open for application at different time throughout the year. How would we indicate whether a program is currently open for applications, and how would we inform people of programs that are currently not open?
Constraints: Fighting for user research
To help figure out what content would be relevant on the website, I encouraged the marketing team to talk to some students in order to get a better sense of how they conduct their job search, and what they look for in an internship/co-op position.

Unfortunately, the marketing team did not want to do user research. They pushed back, saying it was unnecessary and would take too much effort. Instead, they wanted to showcase RBCCM's global offices and opportunities to work abroad, because that is what another company was doing on their website.

To prove that user research can be less involved, but still extremely effective, I arranged a quick, 30 minute user interview with a co-op student on my team. I also I made a short, 10 question survey and asked the co-op student on my team to send it to other RBC co-op students that he knew.

I had 6 responses by the end of the day, and I synthesized the research data the next day.

Survey Insights:
Students don’t care about international offices/opportunities abroad. The more important criteria was learning opportunities and the reputation of the company.

Using the survey results, I concluded that showcasing global offices is not important, and that I should instead highlight the company's reputation, and student learning opportunities. 

Research Results:
I was able to prove to the marketing team that user research does not have to be time consuming and complex, and it can still produce very viable data and design suggestions.

Using the research insights, I created a user journey map that uncovered opportunities for content, and the survey results debunked some of the marketing team's theories on what content would be useful to students.

Below: A "Thinking, Feeling, Doing" user journey map to show the process of a student applying to a job.

User journey map for a student looking for a co-op job
Putting it all together
Based on the user research, I was able to pull together the content that would be most useful to students, and structure them in order of importance.

Below: Wireframes of the Student Careers web pages.

wireframes and IA for careers website

Below: Final screens

Final mockups for four of the rbccm student careers web pages